Yeah, pretty exciting, I know. I'll bet you are sitting on the edge of your seat, as eager to see the flower pictures as you were to look at your first adult magazine. But really, this is a big deal. You will remember that when we put the addition on the house, we pulled out rocks from under the vinyl fence and made a raised bed. That was in July 2010! I have been dreaming of getting this bed done since then.
So the before pictures:
Taken 5/13/2011. And the last two are the flower bed the way it was after the majority of the construction was done on the addition. The rocks are out where they should be and the area behind them was backfilled with amended top soil. That is how the flower bed sat for two years. Not that we weren't doing landscape projects. Last fall we added sod, laid the flagstone path, and added rock mulch, so the east bed never made its way to the top of the the to do list.
During the bed's two year "rest", the rhubarb and strawberries were there temporarily until I could get their permanent home in the back 40 fixed up. I periodically added an inch or so of topsoil around the base of each of the two trees so as to not smother them while gradually bringing the soil level up to the top of the rock border.
Then a few weeks ago, after the temps came down some, I decided that the time had come for our sorry looking east flower bed to get its act together and start acting like the beautiful growing place it could be. I began preparations for planting day by taking out the two old lilac bushes you can see in the last picture above. These had been in another spot in the yard when Drew bought the house in 2001. They were scraggly and mature at that point, so I suspect they were 30 or more years old. As much as I love the smell of lilac and hate to kill a hardy plant, they were too big for that space and we have no where else to move them to. I did save one newer lilac that I think has a smaller mature size. It is in the back 40 with the rhubarb and strawberries.
I also planted the right hand side of the driveway with some sea oat grass donated by a friend. I'm not sure I'll stick with this planting. Need something taller.
Then, I went to the store. Fun!!! I had designed the bed with some different plants, but Home depot didn't have the ones I wanted and I liked some of these others very much, so here is the plan I ended up with:
Two weekends ago I planted everything and last weekend I added the drip lines and mulch.
It was fun, dirty work.
I really like the way the mix of colors and textures came out, and our wedding Ginkgo is so happy to have a mulch blanket and friends to grow with.
The next three shots are close ups so you can see the plants better.