Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Ireland day 1: Dublin

After about 25 hours traveling, we finally landed in Dublin. I had had about 9 hours of sleep over the past 48 hours, but no matter, genealogy awaits. To the Nation Library of Ireland!

We got our little car and headed directly into the most metropolitan area we could find on the left side of the road driving a manual transmission. Drew did awesome, but it is definitely a team driving experience. The copilot looks for signs and tries to follow the Google map while driver tried to stay on the left side of the road.

I had only about an hour to spend at the library.





I spent most of it talking to the librarian. She gave me some good tips, but unfortunately, I still have not been able to positively link my great great grandfather to his parents. I think it can be done, but I need more time. Alas, the pub was calling.

We met up with our travel companions for the first part of our trip, our good friends Jim and Shelly. The rest of the evening we spent walking around Dublin  to Trinity College, St Stephens Gardens, random other streets. And dining at Millstone restaurant in Temple Bar.  I thought I was eating vegetarian, but there may have been liver pate involved.



We spent the night at the d Hotel in Drogheda town about 40 minutes north of Dublin. We were so extremely tired we didn't notice the modern interior and friendly staff. The bed was comfortable though! Damn I was tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment