Saturday, December 6, 2008

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving 2008 was really great. Drew miraculously had it off because he spent a good hour or two searching through the bid lines until he found one that gave him Thanksgiving off and that he had a shot at getting with is low new-captian seniority. Our good friends Heather and Steve Hales invited us to their home in Draper, a Salt Lake City suburb, to give thanks with them and their two cute daughters Madeiline and Morgan.


All the thankful people gathered around the Hale's dining room table. This was the first year the Hales have hosted a real Thanksgiving in their home, so we felt special. We were very grateful for their invitation, especially me since the last time I tried to cook a turkey 12 years ago it was still cold inside upon serving.
Steve carved up the honey-brined bird. It was fully cooked and delicious. We had pretty much all the traditional fixings, including sweet potatoes, homemade rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, and scalloped corn.And for desert, mmm, pies. I made the color-coordinated pumpkin and apple. I tried lard + butter in my crust this time. I was trying to get away from the hydrogenated oils in shortening, and Mom always made her crust with lard, so I figured that was the healthier, correct way to make pie crust. I didn't realize until later that the lard from the grocery store is made with hydrogenated fats. Oh well, they tasted good. Heather made the fabulous chocolate chip pecan you see here.

Plate o' pie. Three pieces. I felt ill afterward. Isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about? After the men cleaned up, we played Sorry and Whoonu, two fun games for the whole family.
Drew and I are glad to have good friends to celebrate our good fortune with. Happy Holidays, all!








No comments:

Post a Comment