Monday, August 29, 2011

Summer weekend at home

I think it has been 3 years since Drew and I spent an entire summer weekend at home together with no out of town races, no going off to work on Saturday or Sunday night, and no real plans except to ride and get together with friends.

So to mark the occasion, we had a yard sale!



I had boxed up unwanted clothes, household items, tools, etc., intending to have a yard sale before we started the home addition back in APRIL 2010.  With the construction last year, I never seemed to have a Saturday available.  Until now.  It felt good to unload our unwanted stuff on others who can use and appreciate it.

We made $149,

but better than the cash was the discovery of my set of car and house keys that had been lost since last winter!  Apparently I had put them in one of the boxes of yard sale stuff.  Hooray for finding them!

With that excellent accomplishment on Saturday, we felt we could indulge in a long bike ride with friends on Sunday in Park City.   It was warm and sunny and we knew all the trails would be in perfect tacky condition because the rain the night before would have destroyed the dust on the trails but made no mud. I was the fearful leader

on a loop up CMG, Keystone, and Apex. Back behind Shadow Lake and climb to Scott's Pass, at which point we said good-bye to Rhandy and Mary who were going a Crest ride.  We turned left on a trail new to 4 out of 5 of us, Scott's Bypass trail, which we followed to the top of Jupiter Bowl. (Great trail!) We then descended a rocky ridge

to Dead Tree trail and from there followed our tracks back down to the parking lot.   We managed about 3100 feet of climbing but it was so worth it to be up on the tippy top of the Wasatch Mountains looking down at Shadow Lake

on a skinny, wildflower-encased trail

breathing pristine fresh mountain air by the gulps.   

We stopped to document the scene of Shelly's crash last weekend.  The rain had also washed her flesh off the stump.

Best ride of the year so far!


I've also been trying to keep up with the harvest.

I've made two batches of zucchini bread, two chocolate zucchini cakes, and a large bowl of salsa.  Yum.

3 comments:

  1. I like the fact that the map picture has you looking at the section of the map that is miles and pavement away from where you are riding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just pretending to look at the map so my companions would feel comforted in that I was taking route finding seriously.

    ReplyDelete