Thursday, February 11, 2016

Ecuador day 4: more of Quito in Spanish

We had our third day of Spanish school today, and later on the street, I had my first moment of actually thinking in Spanish without "thinking" about it. Granted, it was a tiny, simple thought, but I was encouraged that the last three days are getting me somewhere. With only devoting 4 days to the language, it may be too much to ask of my brain to know enough Spanish to get by comfortably when traveling in Latin America.    After school today, which was the first day more stores are open after Carnival, Mario the school cook directed us to the best restaurant in Quito! 100% vegetarian Indian and Ecuadorian buffet.  I ate, although my tummy was still quite unsettled. It was delicious, and the best value we have found.  For the rest of the day, we needed some energy.
A double shot of espresso to prepare for our afternoon activities.
 The activities for today included a tour of La Compañia and a trip up to El Panecillo.
The exterior of La Compañía.
La Compañía is the most extravagant church in the Americas. It was built by an order of wealthy Jusuit priests between 1605 and 1765. The tour guide told me that 54 kilograms (120 lbs) of gold was used to glitz everything from the walls to the ceilings, to the alters. Unfortunately for my faithful readers, no photographs are allowed inside the most beautiful part of the church. Something about paintings being stolen and then finding a camera with pictures of the stolen pictures on it. Anyway, I really enjoyed the tour. Drew was tired of churches and didn't want to pay the $4 entrance fee, so he went shopping for a fabulous t shirt, which I'm sure you will see much more of in the next dozen posts.  We hired a taxi for the short ride to El Panecillo.
The statue of the Virgin of Quito at El Panicillo is a 30 meter high metal statue that dominates the skyline from Old Town. 
 
View to the south from El Panecillo of the very colorful south end of Quito.
Panoramic of Old Town Quito central historic district, where we have been spending our days.
 
We ate crackers and peanut butter for dinner, since we were still satisfied from lunch and my belly still was not feeling 100%. We managed to pry out the cork from the bottle of wine that our child waiter opened for the night prior, and studied in our room. Vacation doesn't have to be all fun and games, right

3 comments:

  1. For feeling queasy you look great! I admire your studious ways, cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully, my illness only went in one direction, so I was still able to study and tour. Learning a language at 45 is difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully, my illness only went in one direction, so I was still able to study and tour. Learning a language at 45 is difficult!

    ReplyDelete