Saturday, March 28, 2009

Science Girls Rock

Yesterday I (Lucy) lead a team of mostly women geologists judging the Salt Lake Valley Science and Engineering Fair. Out of 286 projects, about 30 geoscience related projects by girls were eligible for $600 in cash and prizes awarded by the Salt Lake Chapter of the Association for Women Geoscientists. I think I speak for the rest of the judges when I say we were thrilled and encouraged by the level of knowledge, ingenuity, and EXCITEMENT exhibited by girls about science, and especially about geoscience. Seeing young women interested in science brings me more hope for our future than most anything I've seen in the past 5 years. Congratulations to the girls who won our prizes, and kudos to all the boys and girls who participated. The girl we chose as winner of the junior high division is featured in this Salt Lake Tribune article. All the winners are listed here.
Here are a few pics of us judges beside the students and their displays, and one of Allison and I handing out awards at the raucous awards ceremony.




No comments:

Post a Comment